Search for at
BigBangGamers.com Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
New BBG Forums - PLEASE READ!!! General Discussions for the Gaming Community SHADoWNiNETR3S 0 Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:27 pm
SHADoWNiNETR3S View latest post
New BBG Discord Server General Discussions for the Gaming Community TheONE 3 Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:35 pm
BigBangTheory View latest post
Meet the Big Bang Gamers Off Topic gara_girl 1 Mon May 20, 2019 3:06 am
gara_girl View latest post
BBG Minecraft Other Games Bonko 3 Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:33 pm
BigBangTheory View latest post
Traded with supposedly Big Bang(not confirmed)gone wrong :/ Help Needed joe1 11 Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:57 pm
ScorchingVenom View latest post
Hybrid Drives (SSD meets HDD) Hardware Review Omega 1 Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:03 pm
techinfinite View latest post

Microsoft Security Essentials

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    BigBangGamers.com Forum Index -> Hardware Review
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
BitterSweet
Game Server Admin

usa.gif

STEAM PROFILE:
Visit member's Steam Profile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:58 pm Post subject: No icon Microsoft Security Essentials Reply with quote

Once more, I know this is a harware review forum, but...

I just downloaded and installed MS Security Essentials yesterday, and replaced AVG 8.5.  I never upgraded the AVG to 9.0 because it was really slowing down this 650MHz proc system.  Here's a surprise:  For once, I have something good to say about an MS product.  It's been years since that happened.  Laughing  The product is priced just right for me, free.  It has real-time protection, manual scanning at two levels, quick or full, and a fully configurable scheduled scan.  It's simple to use, and the interface is simple, but it also seems very complete.  My system has speeded up quite a bit since installing it, and it even found a virus in an mp3 file (and succesfully removed it) file on it's first "quick scan", which you have the option to run during the installation.  I'm happy with it, so far.  Anyone else using this?

BigBangGamers is the best gaming community ever.  Thanks BigBangTheory   Bow  

Last edited by BitterSweet on Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
mrg3dit2002
Colonel
Colonel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:35 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Microsoft Security Essentials Reply with quote

i used it for a day then i went back to KIS 2010
BitterSweet
Game Server Admin

usa.gif

STEAM PROFILE:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:59 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Microsoft Security Essentials Reply with quote

I ran a "full scan" last night, and it found and cleaned yet another infection, that was apparently undetected by AVG.

Sponsor
HellBound
General
General

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:28 am Post subject: No icon Re: Microsoft Security Essentials Reply with quote

Gotta watch those "free" anit-virus progs.  From my understanding (and don't quite know this to be true) but.....   some manufacturer's (and yes, even MS) will go as far as to intentionally infect your system (via the free Anti-Virus prog itself) and then have the Anti-Virus prog detect/remove it so that it appears that they are the most awesome Anti-Virus prog in the world, hence leaving you with the feeling of wanting to actually go out to the store and purchase their product.  Basically, a technologically advanced marketing scheme.  Again, don't know this to be completely factual, but i've always been told, "You Get What You Pay For"...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MySpace Profile: http://www.myspace.com/ftr316
BitterSweet
Game Server Admin

usa.gif

STEAM PROFILE:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:16 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Microsoft Security Essentials Reply with quote

Yes, you do get what you pay for.  Last month, I read an article that compared several of the free AV progs.  This MS product wasn't at the top, it was in the middle somewhere.  But I liked what I read as far as the details go.  It seemed like it was closest to what I was looking for from a user standpoint, and worth a try.  Not bad for the price. so far.

And I know what you are talking about Chris.  One of those had a TV add, and It had a web based "scanner" which found all kinds of malware on my computer (in just a few seconds, mind you).  To remove the "threats", I would have to purchase their product immediately, of course.  Laughing

toad
Major
Major

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:03 am Post subject: No icon Re: Microsoft Security Essentials Reply with quote

Thats why experience pays off and reading is fundimental. Its difficult to warn some people of these scams untill they learn on thier own.
Granted some are legitimate, but reminder like hellbound said, you may be infected with up to 700 viruses, they may remove 10 free, and you have to pay $30 to have viruses removed you didnt have the day b-4. I have AVG 9.0, and I dont wory about that stuff anymore.
Sponsor
BitterSweet
Game Server Admin

usa.gif

STEAM PROFILE:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:06 am Post subject: No icon Re: Microsoft Security Essentials Reply with quote

toad @ Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:03 am wrote:
Thats why experience pays off and reading is fundimental. Its difficult to warn some people of these scams untill they learn on thier own.
Granted some are legitimate, but reminder like hellbound said, you may be infected with up to 700 viruses, they may remove 10 free, and you have to pay $30 to have viruses removed you didnt have the day b-4. I have AVG 9.0, and I dont wory about that stuff anymore.

I was using AVG, can't remember which version, and was getting performance issues from it.  My understanding is that performance was the problem with other users at the time also.  From what I've read, those performance issues were addressed with the latest version.  The MS software found a couple things on a PC or two at the initial install, that I guess AVG missed, or perhaps MSSE is over-agressive.  Anyway, all of my PCs running MSSE are running great.  If it ain't broke, I don't fix it.  Cool

yoda
Game Server Admin

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:30 am Post subject: No icon Re: Microsoft Security Essentials Reply with quote

I used Norton for years, but Norton kept getting bigger and bigger, and was slowing performance.
I switched to Vipre and got a whole house license that covers ALL my computers.

It is fast, and doesn't slow my machine.
I am very happy with Vipre and would recommend it to anyone.

http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
HellBound
General
General

usa.gif

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:49 am Post subject: No icon Re: Microsoft Security Essentials Reply with quote

I myself, use Webroot AV...  doesn't slow my performance either.  I would recommend to anyone...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MySpace Profile: http://www.myspace.com/ftr316
Sponsor
THE_CHEESEMAN
General
General

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:23 am Post subject: No icon Re: Microsoft Security Essentials Reply with quote

HellBound @ Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:28 pm wrote:
Gotta watch those "free" anit-virus progs.  From my understanding (and don't quite know this to be true) but.....   some manufacturer's (and yes, even MS) will go as far as to intentionally infect your system (via the free Anti-Virus prog itself) and then have the Anti-Virus prog detect/remove it so that it appears that they are the most awesome Anti-Virus prog in the world, hence leaving you with the feeling of wanting to actually go out to the store and purchase their product.  Basically, a technologically advanced marketing scheme.  Again, don't know this to be completely factual, but i've always been told, "You Get What You Pay For"...

I've never found that to be the case. But it is true, "You get what you pay for".

I've used AVG, Avast, Kaspersky, and a few others before and I have found that Avast works the best. Kaspersky is a close second. AVG used to be good, but it kept getting bigger and bigger, like Norton, until it really slows down the comp.

~Cheese

Xfire/Steam: thecheeseman999
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger MySpace Profile: http://www.myspace.com/djheps
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view BigBangGamers.com Forum Index ->  Hardware Review Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: