Search for at
BigBangGamers.com Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
New BBG Forums - PLEASE READ!!! General Discussions for the Gaming Community SHADoWNiNETR3S 0 Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:27 pm
SHADoWNiNETR3S View latest post
New BBG Discord Server General Discussions for the Gaming Community TheONE 3 Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:35 pm
BigBangTheory View latest post
Meet the Big Bang Gamers Off Topic gara_girl 1 Mon May 20, 2019 3:06 am
gara_girl View latest post
BBG Minecraft Other Games Bonko 3 Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:33 pm
BigBangTheory View latest post
Traded with supposedly Big Bang(not confirmed)gone wrong :/ Help Needed joe1 11 Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:57 pm
ScorchingVenom View latest post
Hybrid Drives (SSD meets HDD) Hardware Review Omega 1 Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:03 pm
techinfinite View latest post

Win7 File Sharing

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    BigBangGamers.com Forum Index -> Hardware Review
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
BitterSweet
Game Server Admin

usa.gif

STEAM PROFILE:
Visit member's Steam Profile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:50 pm Post subject: No icon Win7 File Sharing Reply with quote

Since there is no "Software Review" forum, or "OS Review" forum, I'll post this  Evil or Very Mad  here like I have in the past.

They really have done it this time at MS, making something as simple as file sharing between computers all local to the same network such a pain in the @$#!  I've networked DOS computers with less hassle.  It was working fine for months.  So I knocked a few things off of my "to do" list this morning:

1. Physically moved a network hub so it was close enough to my UPS so I could route cables through the network protection ports.  No IP addresses were changed (I use static IP addresses)
2.  Ran Windows update on all 4 computers on the network
3.  Added some scheduled tasks to some computers to provide a reminder when it's time to run a backup
4.  Added some scheduled tasks to some computers to make sure (provide a report) of when they wake up to run other tasks

All of a sudden, I can't access file shares on my Win7 computer, which were working fine for months.  It was a pain to set up in the first place, but for the most part, file sharing like this is usually "set it and forget it".  Not today!

After reading a plethora of forum posts at various forums of other users having the exact same issues, trying everything from removing the shares and networks then replacing them, to various registry entries, guess what the problem was?  When sharing from Win7 to WinXP, in some cases at least, the username and password must be the same on both machines.  Earlier this morning before starting my "to do" list, neither machine was password protected - no need for it behind a hardware firewall IMO.  WinXP requires users to have a password to add scheduled tasks, so I had to set a password then do a registry entry for autologon.  Win7 doesn't require that, so I was able to add the scheduled task without creating a password.  So finally after 6 hours it's working properly.  The bad news is that some of the forum posts I came across noted that the connection would work for awhile and then suddenly stop working/ask for a password again - and when it asks for a password, it won't connect even if you enter the correct password.

Scheduled tasks, user login, file sharing - what the heck do any of those have to do with each other?  Really?  MS only makes it such a pain because they hope you'll just say "Screw it!" and "upgrade" all of your computers to Win7.  Jerks!  Evil or Very Mad

BigBangGamers is the best gaming community ever.  Thanks BigBangTheory   Bow  
desolations7
Game Server Admin

usa.gif

STEAM PROFILE:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:48 am Post subject: No icon Re: Win7 File Sharing Reply with quote

We keep all of our family files on a network drive, that way if we need to share pictures or something it's easy, you just add it to the drive from one computer and then acces it from the other Smile just a suggestion though, it sounds like you've got it working on your setup now

BitterSweet
Game Server Admin

usa.gif

STEAM PROFILE:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:03 am Post subject: No icon Re: Win7 File Sharing Reply with quote

desolations7 @ Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:48 am wrote:
We keep all of our family files on a network drive, that way if we need to share pictures or something it's easy, you just add it to the drive from one computer and then acces it from the other Smile just a suggestion though, it sounds like you've got it working on your setup now

That's pretty much what I'm doing, except Win7 won't allow you to share the entire Windows drive, at least not out of the box, so I'm just sharing the Users folder on that (this actually) machine.  Some of the subfolders contain my business type stuff: spreadsheets, databases, tax docs, etc. I do keep all of my media on other networked drives in the network.  Heck, Win7 won't allow me access to some folders on this computer from this computer - I get access denied - and I am admin, and all the appropriate security settings are where they should be,   It's not that I really need to look in those folders, it's just that I don't like the OS telling me what's good for me.  It really should be the other way around.

BigBangGamers is the best gaming community ever.  Thanks BigBangTheory   Bow  
Sponsor
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view BigBangGamers.com Forum Index ->  Hardware Review Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: