Win7 File Sharing
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

BigBangGamers.com -> Hardware Review

#1: No icon Win7 File Sharing Author: BitterSweetLocation: San Diego, CA, USA PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:50 pm
    —
Since there is no "Software Review" forum, or "OS Review" forum, I'll post this  Evil or Very Mad  here like I have in the past.

They really have done it this time at MS, making something as simple as file sharing between computers all local to the same network such a pain in the @$#!  I've networked DOS computers with less hassle.  It was working fine for months.  So I knocked a few things off of my "to do" list this morning:

1. Physically moved a network hub so it was close enough to my UPS so I could route cables through the network protection ports.  No IP addresses were changed (I use static IP addresses)
2.  Ran Windows update on all 4 computers on the network
3.  Added some scheduled tasks to some computers to provide a reminder when it's time to run a backup
4.  Added some scheduled tasks to some computers to make sure (provide a report) of when they wake up to run other tasks

All of a sudden, I can't access file shares on my Win7 computer, which were working fine for months.  It was a pain to set up in the first place, but for the most part, file sharing like this is usually "set it and forget it".  Not today!

After reading a plethora of forum posts at various forums of other users having the exact same issues, trying everything from removing the shares and networks then replacing them, to various registry entries, guess what the problem was?  When sharing from Win7 to WinXP, in some cases at least, the username and password must be the same on both machines.  Earlier this morning before starting my "to do" list, neither machine was password protected - no need for it behind a hardware firewall IMO.  WinXP requires users to have a password to add scheduled tasks, so I had to set a password then do a registry entry for autologon.  Win7 doesn't require that, so I was able to add the scheduled task without creating a password.  So finally after 6 hours it's working properly.  The bad news is that some of the forum posts I came across noted that the connection would work for awhile and then suddenly stop working/ask for a password again - and when it asks for a password, it won't connect even if you enter the correct password.

Scheduled tasks, user login, file sharing - what the heck do any of those have to do with each other?  Really?  MS only makes it such a pain because they hope you'll just say "Screw it!" and "upgrade" all of your computers to Win7.  Jerks!  Evil or Very Mad

#2: No icon Re: Win7 File Sharing Author: desolations7Location: Seattle PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:48 am
    —
We keep all of our family files on a network drive, that way if we need to share pictures or something it's easy, you just add it to the drive from one computer and then acces it from the other Smile just a suggestion though, it sounds like you've got it working on your setup now

#3: No icon Re: Win7 File Sharing Author: BitterSweetLocation: San Diego, CA, USA PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:03 am
    —
desolations7 @ Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:48 am wrote:
We keep all of our family files on a network drive, that way if we need to share pictures or something it's easy, you just add it to the drive from one computer and then acces it from the other Smile just a suggestion though, it sounds like you've got it working on your setup now

That's pretty much what I'm doing, except Win7 won't allow you to share the entire Windows drive, at least not out of the box, so I'm just sharing the Users folder on that (this actually) machine.  Some of the subfolders contain my business type stuff: spreadsheets, databases, tax docs, etc. I do keep all of my media on other networked drives in the network.  Heck, Win7 won't allow me access to some folders on this computer from this computer - I get access denied - and I am admin, and all the appropriate security settings are where they should be,   It's not that I really need to look in those folders, it's just that I don't like the OS telling me what's good for me.  It really should be the other way around.

BigBangGamers.com -> Hardware Review

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT - 6 Hours

Page 1 of 1