Search for at
BigBangGamers.com Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
New BBG Forums - PLEASE READ!!! General Discussions for the Gaming Community SHADoWNiNETR3S 0 Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:27 pm
SHADoWNiNETR3S View latest post
New BBG Discord Server General Discussions for the Gaming Community TheONE 3 Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:35 pm
BigBangTheory View latest post
Meet the Big Bang Gamers Off Topic gara_girl 1 Mon May 20, 2019 3:06 am
gara_girl View latest post
BBG Minecraft Other Games Bonko 3 Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:33 pm
BigBangTheory View latest post
Traded with supposedly Big Bang(not confirmed)gone wrong :/ Help Needed joe1 11 Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:57 pm
ScorchingVenom View latest post
Hybrid Drives (SSD meets HDD) Hardware Review Omega 1 Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:03 pm
techinfinite View latest post

Oh thank heaven for 7, or not???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    BigBangGamers.com Forum Index -> Hardware Review
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
BitterSweet
Game Server Admin

usa.gif

STEAM PROFILE:
Visit member's Steam Profile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:12 pm Post subject: No icon Oh thank heaven for 7, or not??? Reply with quote

Since there isn't a software review, this is the closest forum for the topic I'd like to start.  Windoze 7, how many of us are using it?  What problems are you having (if any  Laughing )?  Are you using the beta or retail release?  Are you using it in your main (gaming) rig, or another rig?  Is it your main boot partition, or are you still experimenting with it on a secondary boot partition?  These are questions I'd like to hear from people about.  I just went shopping last weekend, and there it was, PC Magazine, sporting a Windoze 7 cover.  I thought about it, but it's just not in the budget at this time, so I grabbed CPU Mag as planned.  If I can get some more OT this month, I'll grab the PC Mag and post what I've read about it.

We've already heard some things about old COD versions not working, and some special tweaking being required for some others.  What's funny, is those TV commercials that have been popping up, showing "regular" people, and at the end they same something like:  "I'm a PC, and I created WIndoze 7", which implies to me, that clicking those error boxes that say "Send/Don't Send" Report to MS is what made Win 7 so great.  So far from the little I've heard from this community, it sounds like MS decided to just not support any software that caused problems in previous OS versions.  So, tell us, those that know, is Win 7 yet another MS faux pas?

BigBangGamers is the best gaming community ever.  Thanks BigBangTheory   Bow  
BigBangTheory
Site Owner
Site Owner

usa.gif

STEAM PROFILE:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:15 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Oh thank heaven for 7, or not??? Reply with quote

I still have not had a chance to actually play online yet with Windows 7.  I have it installed on 2 computers. One of which is dual booting with Vista.

For those that have perfectly good working XP or Vista and want to go Winblows 7 then I would suggest going with a full version package (TigerDirect has OEM copies for a fraction of the retail price) and grab a new nice big hard drive, install it as a 2nd drive and install Win 7 within your origianl OS onto this 2nd drive, for dual boot.
There are already updates for Win7 if that tells you anything  Laughing  ( no service packs though.... yet...  )

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
BitterSweet
Game Server Admin

usa.gif

STEAM PROFILE:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:40 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Oh thank heaven for 7, or not??? Reply with quote

BigBangTheory @ Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:15 pm wrote:
I still have not had a chance to actually play online yet with Windows 7.  I have it installed on 2 computers. One of which is dual booting with Vista.

For those that have perfectly good working XP or Vista and want to go Winblows 7 then I would suggest going with a full version package (TigerDirect has OEM copies for a fraction of the retail price) and grab a new nice big hard drive, install it as a 2nd drive and install Win 7 within your origianl OS onto this 2nd drive, for dual boot.
There are already updates for Win7 if that tells you anything  Laughing  ( no service packs though.... yet...  )

That sounds a little bit like an oximoron, Dave.  If you  "...want to go Winblows 7..." ( Laughing just noticed "Winblows", good one), then "...within your origianl OS onto this 2nd drive, for dual boot...".  Not a ringing endorsement I take it.  My translation sounds something like:  "If you really must 'upgrade' to Winblows 7, then dual boot it as a secondary OS."  

I guess I should have added one more question to the original post:  Is anybody surprised?  Laughing

Sponsor
FatCat
General
General

canada.gif

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:15 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Oh thank heaven for 7, or not??? Reply with quote

Windows 7 seems to work fine with all my games and programs Including call of duty 2 and the original cod's I wonder why your having problems *Scratches head* im not saying I love windows 7 but I find it hardly blows.. Also never have had problems with punkbuster even before the release of windows 7. But I have not got the retail something could be differen't  not sure..

BitterSweet
Game Server Admin

usa.gif

STEAM PROFILE:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:20 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Oh thank heaven for 7, or not??? Reply with quote

FatCat @ Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:15 pm wrote:
Windows 7 seems to work fine with all my games and programs Including call of duty 2 and the original cod's I wonder why your having problems *Scratches head* im not saying I love windows 7 but I find it hardly blows.. Also never have had problems with punkbuster even before the release of windows 7. But I have not got the retail something could be differen't  not sure..

So you are still using the beta version of 7 Jesse?  Do you know how long you can use that before it expires?  Or does it even expire?  Confused

FatCat
General
General

canada.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:16 am Post subject: No icon Re: Oh thank heaven for 7, or not??? Reply with quote

It expires In august Smile So I have awhile to get a real copy  Cool

Sponsor
BitterSweet
Game Server Admin

usa.gif

STEAM PROFILE:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:57 am Post subject: No icon Re: Oh thank heaven for 7, or not??? Reply with quote

FatCat @ Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:16 pm wrote:
It expires In august Smile So I have awhile to get a real copy  Cool

August 2010?  If so, is that beta version still downloadable (from MS)?  I guess they figure that by then most of the bugs will get caught, and in the meanwhile, why not take the ca$h from people that will pay for it? The more things change, the more they stay the same, eh?  Cool

BigBangTheory
Site Owner
Site Owner

usa.gif

STEAM PROFILE:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:41 am Post subject: No icon Re: Oh thank heaven for 7, or not??? Reply with quote

No, I agree FatCat, about the winblows.. it doesnt blow.. I was just being colorfull..   The OEM version is the same thing, it just doesnt come with the box, manual or tech support and is about 1/2 the price. So far I like it, but with COD1 I do have the same issue on 2 computers.. that the FPS drops to like about 18 or so when killed. Th evideo cards used in these 2 computers are Nvidia 260 and 295. As far as I can tell, everything else is going well with it.. but I do need to play live against some folks with them on different games.  Things have been so dead around here, it has been hard to get the chance  Crying or Very sad

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
HellBound
General
General

usa.gif

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:57 am Post subject: No icon Re: Oh thank heaven for 7, or not??? Reply with quote

Perhaps we ought to find some people to actually schedule a "game night" of sorts to play around and do some testing etc...   Bang, what you think?  Would you like to some time to dedicate to specifically expirement around with what you've got?  If so, say the word and we'll see about mustering up a few of the fella's and see what we can get going....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MySpace Profile: http://www.myspace.com/ftr316
Sponsor
mrg3dit2002
Colonel
Colonel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:14 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Oh thank heaven for 7, or not??? Reply with quote

i have noticed that 7 does become fragmented more ez compared to vista when useing PD10.
but other then that the only problem i have had was getting the WEI score to run but that had to do with kaspersky (had to uninstall/reinstall).
other then that 7 has been good to me also free to me (houseparty.com),so for $0.00 i have to say its better then vista and runs lighter on the ram.
all the games i have tryed have worked well,but all the games i had tryed are a newer so that dont say much.
bang\all others with 7 here in about two weeks there well be a tweak guide (400+pages) on the website http://www.tweakguides.com/
the guy makes some great guides!real A+ stuff! you should check it out. Cool
now im tryin to find how to get os x to run w/o messing up 7, ne1 know a guide on how to do that?
well good luck with ur copy of 7
BitterSweet
Game Server Admin

usa.gif

STEAM PROFILE:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:54 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Oh thank heaven for 7, or not??? Reply with quote

mrg3dit2002 @ Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:14 am wrote:
...now im tryin to find how to get os x to run w/o messing up 7, ne1 know a guide on how to do that?
well good luck with ur copy of 7

Are you doing this on a Mac or a PC machine?  Macs, I'm not sure.  I've heard that they were coming more in line with PCs, but I've onlyt had a few brief encounters with them, and it seems like they used to have their disk partitioning scheme.  If it's a PC, sure I can help with that.  I have a great tool XOSL that should do it.  You can download the latest version here:

http://www.ranish.com/part/xosl.htm

Make sure to read the documentation before installing it.  Cool

BigBangTheory
Site Owner
Site Owner

usa.gif

STEAM PROFILE:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:33 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Oh thank heaven for 7, or not??? Reply with quote

Like I said earlier, how I did dual boot is I had the earlier OS installed on C:/
In my case Vista was on C and with Vista up and running, I partitioned the new drive I installed ( a 1.5 T drive) and formated it via disk managment and had a nice new installed E:/ drive that was 1.5T
To get to disk managment, right click on My Computer and select manage from the menu
Then, I put Windows 7 in teh dvd drive and the autorun started the install.  I selected that I wanted a new install, not an upgrade and I chose the installation partition to be my E:/ drive
and that is it. It installs on E and after the install and on every boot, you will have a boot selection menu to choose which OS to boot to.

Macs, I have never owned one... so I dunno  not sure if they do virtual machine or what

Sponsor
BitterSweet
Game Server Admin

usa.gif

STEAM PROFILE:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:49 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Oh thank heaven for 7, or not??? Reply with quote

Yeah, not sure if the MS boot loader will work with a Mac.  I believe OS X is for the Mac only, but I'm not sure.  The_Cheeseman may be able to help you more with this, I seem to remember a post by him awhile back regarding booting an MS OS on his Mac.   You might want to shoot him a PM.

mrg3dit2002
Colonel
Colonel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:22 am Post subject: No icon Re: Oh thank heaven for 7, or not??? Reply with quote

the tweak guide for windows 7 is out,you can dl it form http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html
its a great tool for anyone with windows
THE_CHEESEMAN
General
General

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:07 am Post subject: No icon Re: Oh thank heaven for 7, or not??? Reply with quote

You have to run OSX in an "emulator" in order for it to run inside of Windows. Same goes for Windows on the Mac. There's some free stuff out there that'll do that for you.

~Cheese

Xfire/Steam: thecheeseman999
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger MySpace Profile: http://www.myspace.com/djheps
Sponsor
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view BigBangGamers.com Forum Index ->  Hardware Review Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: