Search for at
BigBangGamers.com Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
New BBG Forums - PLEASE READ!!! General Discussions for the Gaming Community SHADoWNiNETR3S 0 Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:27 pm
SHADoWNiNETR3S View latest post
New BBG Discord Server General Discussions for the Gaming Community TheONE 3 Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:35 pm
BigBangTheory View latest post
Meet the Big Bang Gamers Off Topic gara_girl 1 Mon May 20, 2019 3:06 am
gara_girl View latest post
BBG Minecraft Other Games Bonko 3 Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:33 pm
BigBangTheory View latest post
Traded with supposedly Big Bang(not confirmed)gone wrong :/ Help Needed joe1 11 Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:57 pm
ScorchingVenom View latest post
Hybrid Drives (SSD meets HDD) Hardware Review Omega 1 Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:03 pm
techinfinite View latest post

GeForce 9800 GTX+
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    BigBangGamers.com Forum Index -> Hardware Review
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellBound
General
General

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:50 am Post subject: No icon GeForce 9800 GTX+ Reply with quote

Does anyone have or can give me a complete unbias review of a GeForce 9800 GTX+ video graphics card?  BigBangTheory has convinced me, thats the card I ought to go with, so I took his advice & purchased one.  It should be on its way here within the next few days or so.  But was wondering if anyone owned one and could let me know how satisfied or unsatisfied you are with it.  

Thanks,
Chris (HellBound)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MySpace Profile: http://www.myspace.com/ftr316
BigBangTheory
Site Owner
Site Owner

usa.gif

STEAM PROFILE:
Visit member's Steam Profile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:58 pm Post subject: No icon Re: GeForce 9800 GTX+ Reply with quote

you did confirm that your PS had 2
6 pin PCI-E connectors on it??

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
HellBound
General
General

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:22 pm Post subject: No icon Re: GeForce 9800 GTX+ Reply with quote

I forgot to ask you about the psu when I called.  Blondie was saying to get with you, because the psu only has 1x 6-pin connection that is not labeled.  He said something if it wasn't labeled, then its possible that the wiring could be reversed and end up shorting out the psu or video card.  I looked up the psu online and that 1x 6-pin is, in fact designated for PCI-E connection.  And the card that I ordered comes with a 6-pin to molex connection adapter.  Sooo, I should be okay, right???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MySpace Profile: http://www.myspace.com/ftr316
Sponsor
BitterSweet
Game Server Admin

usa.gif

STEAM PROFILE:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:32 pm Post subject: No icon Re: GeForce 9800 GTX+ Reply with quote

No first hand knowledge (I can't even run the 8400 GS in my closet  Laughing ), but that's supposed to be quite a good "bang for buck" card, especially if you want to muck around with overclocking.  There seems to be more than one outfit that manufactures this card, and there is some concern with certain instances about the card's size.  The name did ring a bell, so when I first read this thread, I started looking through back issues of old PC mags I have laying around.  One mag used the card to do a mod on a mid-tower, and claim they were only a few mm away from having to buy a new case.  I read that and I'm thinking "What?  You guys are the pros and you've never had to put a hole in a case to accomodate an oversized option?"  Laughing

BBT, about those 6 pin connectors, if Chris had to,  he could use an adapter, no?  I seem to recall some cables that have breakaways for the 2 pins.  How about the 4th one here:

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g11/c28/s427/list/p1/Power_Supplies-Computer_PSU_Accessories-PCI_Express_Adapters-Page1.html

If that doesn't work, we'll get the wire snippers, sodering iron, some extra wire & ends and rip that PSU out and do some major surgery.  What do you say Chris?  Razz  Laughing

BigBangGamers is the best gaming community ever.  Thanks BigBangTheory   Bow  
HellBound
General
General

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:55 pm Post subject: No icon Re: GeForce 9800 GTX+ Reply with quote

Umm...  i was think more along the lines of just buying a new psu, if necessary.  But I don't think that'll really be a problem....   Wink
BigBangTheory
Site Owner
Site Owner

usa.gif

STEAM PROFILE:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:21 pm Post subject: No icon Re: GeForce 9800 GTX+ Reply with quote

yeah if he has 1 6 pin pci-e connector, the card will come with an adaptor that uses 2
4 pin molex and gives you a single pci-e 6 pin

so that might be OK, however if he can find something like at least a 650W or higher with good specs.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276573&csid=_21
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3438607&CatId=2036
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276567
this would be a good thing and would not be too close to the edge
some folks might even need to go slightly higher if  runing large hard drives, multiple cd roms, lots of memory, lots of fans

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Sponsor
HellBound
General
General

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:15 pm Post subject: No icon Re: GeForce 9800 GTX+ Reply with quote

GeForce 9800 GTX+ = Minimum Recommended System Power (Watt) = 450  Watt

I currently am running 550 Watts.  I ought to be okay with this, no?  I mean, i've only got a 250Gb hard-drive, rarely use my CD/DVD-RW combo drive (other than to just install software).  I don't have any other fans other than what came factory (CPU) and only running 4Gb of memory.
Groove
Captain
Captain

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:18 pm Post subject: No icon Re: GeForce 9800 GTX+ Reply with quote

i ran a 9800 gtx+ for close to 2 years and really have no complaints. i could run cod4, codw@w, mw2, bfbc2 all at max settings @ 1920 x 1080 res., crysis was a bit hard on the card at max settings tho--but that game is notoriously hard on gpu's. it did run a bit hot also, i would recommend adding a fan or 2 if you havnt already and if you have room--i was running 1 120mm fan, 2 90mm fans. im not sure about your pwr supply, i know the connection your talking about should work with the adapter, but this is a power hungry card--how many watts is your current pwr supply? (fyi--i am only running 650w power supply with all those fans, a fatality pro sound card, 2 hard drives, dvdrom, and a card reader with no probs). i had a few issues running that card with win7 64bit, but the most recent driver cleared most of that up so make sure you double check to make sure you have the most current driver after install--obviously.  :D

good luck with it...hope you like it Very Happy

Groove
Captain
Captain

usa.gif

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:21 pm Post subject: No icon Re: GeForce 9800 GTX+ Reply with quote

lol--you answered my question about your pwr supply while i was typing my previous post. i assume 550 would work, but that seems awful close to me...i would talk to bang about that.

Sponsor
BitterSweet
Game Server Admin

usa.gif

STEAM PROFILE:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:06 am Post subject: No icon Re: GeForce 9800 GTX+ Reply with quote

HellBound @ Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:15 pm wrote:
GeForce 9800 GTX+ = Minimum Recommended System Power (Watt) = 450  Watt

I currently am running 550 Watts.  I ought to be okay with this, no?  I mean, i've only got a 250Gb hard-drive, rarely use my CD/DVD-RW combo drive (other than to just install software).  I don't have any other fans other than what came factory (CPU) and only running 4Gb of memory.

Only using the stock fan?  Better not try any overclocking tricks then.  And, just in case, I'd have some cutting tools ready for when the new gfx card arrives.  Laughing

HellBound
General
General

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:17 pm Post subject: No icon Re: GeForce 9800 GTX+ Reply with quote

Well, the card itself, will also have a fan...
HellBound
General
General

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:29 pm Post subject: No icon Re: GeForce 9800 GTX+ Reply with quote

Class: Priority Mail®
Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™

Can anyone tell me what this means:

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on August 09, 2010 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.
Sponsor
BitterSweet
Game Server Admin

usa.gif

STEAM PROFILE:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:58 pm Post subject: No icon Re: GeForce 9800 GTX+ Reply with quote

HellBound @ Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:29 am wrote:
Class: Priority Mail®
Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™

Can anyone tell me what this means:

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on August 09, 2010 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

The shipper used the USPS online service, so at the time you saw this, it was entered and a pickup scheduled, but not necessarily picked up yet.  That delivery confirmation means someone over 18 will have to sign for the package.  The rest of the bad news is that sometimes you won't see an update until delivery.  Sometimes, sometimes, you see an update for pickup.  You probably aren't going to be able to see the package moving as you would with UPS.  Check again tomorrow or later tonight and see if there was a pickup or hub scan.  If the status is the same tomorrow, it's hard to say.  Did you receive a shipping notification from the shipper?  If you did, or you see another scan on USPS, start counting your 3-5 days from there.  Those are business days too, I believe, so I'd give it a week before worrying about it.

The rest of the bad news is that many of these places that do a large volume of shipping via USPS have a regular daily pickup, so really the vendor you are dealing with could enter that information into the system even if they didn't have the product yet and then ship it later when the product came in, or even worse it's being drop shipped and the vendor you are dealing with isn't even really sure if their vendor has the product in stock or not.

You definitely want to look for a shipping confirmation from the vendor you bought the product from, and start counting your 3-5 business days from then.

HellBound
General
General

usa.gif

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:19 pm Post subject: No icon Re: GeForce 9800 GTX+ Reply with quote

Well well.... aren't you just the bearer of not-so-good news today, Bittersweet....  Like a soggy towel on a wet rainy day, sort of speak.  lol....  just messing with ya...  Actually, I called USPS today and they said they package is actually scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.  The shipper does have a delivery notification and sent the package Priority Mail, which is usually received within 2-3 days.  Sooo, we'll see if I get it tomorrow.  If not, then most probably on Thursday.  I was counting on Thursday in the first place, so it wouldn't be too disappointing.  But i'll still hope for the best-case scenario anyways...    Very Happy
BitterSweet
Game Server Admin

usa.gif

STEAM PROFILE:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:20 pm Post subject: No icon Re: GeForce 9800 GTX+ Reply with quote

HellBound @ Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:19 pm wrote:
Well well.... aren't you just the bearer of not-so-good news today, Bittersweet....  Like a soggy towel on a wet rainy day, sort of speak.  lol....  just messing with ya...  Actually, I called USPS today and they said they package is actually scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.  The shipper does have a delivery notification and sent the package Priority Mail, which is usually received within 2-3 days.  Sooo, we'll see if I get it tomorrow.  If not, then most probably on Thursday.  I was counting on Thursday in the first place, so it wouldn't be too disappointing.  But i'll still hope for the best-case scenario anyways...    Very Happy

I'm back to doing shipping for a living now, so I know something about it.  USPS does have the worst on-time delivery of all the carriers, that's why they are so cheap.  If I remember correctly, you live in a metro area, which is a plus.  It really depends on where it was mailed from, which you might not be able to determine.  I hope you get it Thursday, Friday is a safer bet.  I'm not a pessimist my friend, just a realist Very Happy

Sponsor
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view BigBangGamers.com Forum Index ->  Hardware Review Time synchronized with your computer time
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: