Search for at
BigBangGamers.com Advanced Search

Recent Topics   Next 6 >>  
 Forum   Author   Replies   Last Post 
New BBG Forums - PLEASE READ!!! General Discussions for the Gaming Community SHADoWNiNETR3S 0 Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:27 pm
SHADoWNiNETR3S View latest post
New BBG Discord Server General Discussions for the Gaming Community TheONE 3 Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:35 pm
BigBangTheory View latest post
Meet the Big Bang Gamers Off Topic gara_girl 1 Mon May 20, 2019 3:06 am
gara_girl View latest post
BBG Minecraft Other Games Bonko 3 Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:33 pm
BigBangTheory View latest post
Traded with supposedly Big Bang(not confirmed)gone wrong :/ Help Needed joe1 11 Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:57 pm
ScorchingVenom View latest post
Hybrid Drives (SSD meets HDD) Hardware Review Omega 1 Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:03 pm
techinfinite View latest post

Games for windows-Live

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    BigBangGamers.com Forum Index -> Hardware Review
 View previous topic :: View next topic  
desolations7
Game Server Admin

usa.gif

STEAM PROFILE:
Visit member's Steam Profile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:26 am Post subject: No icon Games for windows-Live Reply with quote

I assume this forum works for software reviews too. Anyway, this seems to be windows attempt at steam and it is rather annoying. Even if you purchased a game through Steam, (in my case Fable 3) you still have to go through this windows thing. But wait, it gets worse. Games for windows-Live has a slight problem in it, it doesn't install. I can have no other programs running and the installer will still say "another instance is already installing the program" All in all it sucks and avoid buying microsoft games from steam if you can

Jenny
General
General

canada.gif

STEAM PROFILE:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:39 am Post subject: No icon Re: Games for windows-Live Reply with quote

I'd say avoid buying games from EA as well, although that's because their customer service is terrible and doesn't solve the problem. By the end of 7 hours of customer support failing, the person I was talking to asked for remote access into my machine, for me to remove my administrator password, run without a firewall, with all my security settings turned off to get the game to run. Turns out, that I'm only one of a handful who has this problem, and they don't know what they're talking about, everything is a copy-paste message with EA, and their support is useless.
BitterSweet
Game Server Admin

usa.gif

STEAM PROFILE:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:22 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Games for windows-Live Reply with quote

desolations7 @ Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:26 pm wrote:
I assume this forum works for software reviews too. Anyway, this seems to be windows attempt at steam and it is rather annoying. Even if you purchased a game through Steam, (in my case Fable 3) you still have to go through this windows thing. But wait, it gets worse. Games for windows-Live has a slight problem in it, it doesn't install. I can have no other programs running and the installer will still say "another instance is already installing the program" All in all it sucks and avoid buying microsoft games from steam if you can

It works for software reviews for me.  I understand and agree with your complaint.  I wasn't really all that happy when I couldn't play some Steam games without starting Steam (like say when my internet is down), and I'm pretty sure I posted something about that in these forums at the time.  I was just reading an article about this very subject, and the bad news for users is that this is the new business model for PC games.  EA was also mentioned in the article, they will not be selling games through the Steam store, but they are supposed to come up with something similar of their own, if they haven't yet.  Another part of the model is FTP, or Free To Play.  The advantages (if any) over paying vs. FTP depend on the genre and game.  I can understand what drives the idea:  If people keep beating you at a game you like, you'll be more likely to pony up cash for the paid version and all of it's advantages in hopes of beating your tormentor(s) into submission.  The next logical steps in the evolution of this business model seems pretty obvious to me.  Ever heard the expression "This (whatever weapon) has your name on it."? Imagine a day when you could buy, with real ca$h, say for the low price of $9.99, a baseball bat or club with another player's icon imprinted on it.  The weapon would cause like 1000X damage of what it should and would guarantee anyone using it, including a 4-year-old wih no hands, the ability to kill the player whose icon is imprinted on the weapon, with a single, awkward swing.  Sort of like when a very young kid takes his first swing at a ball with a bat.  Killer blow, yeah Johnny.   Go_go   Oh, you want one too?  That'll be $19.99...No, $9.99 was a limited time offer.

That's where I see this headed, and it sucks.  I can understand wanting to expand their markets, but these FTP models that I've seen so far do a great job at ticking off players who have already paid for the game.

As far as your particular problem, I hope you get it solved.  I have AOEO FTP and one thing I can tell you about Games For Windows Live, is that it is tied to you Windows Live account, which is basically either a Live or Hotmail email address.  If you don't have one of those, that might be (at least part of) your problem.  They have been having some problems lately:  A week or two back, the entire game was down most of the day, that was FTP and paid players.  It was a weekend, and apparently the only guy that could fix it was still sleeping because it was night time in his time zone.  That went over real good in the forums.  Laughing

I would try installing GFWL from the website without running the game and see it that works for you.  I should say, download & install GFWL without the game running, get logged into GFWL, then try running the game once you're logged in.

BigBangGamers is the best gaming community ever.  Thanks BigBangTheory   Bow  

Last edited by BitterSweet on Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:59 pm; edited 5 times in total
Sponsor
BitterSweet
Game Server Admin

usa.gif

STEAM PROFILE:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:38 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Games for windows-Live Reply with quote

Jenny @ Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:39 am wrote:
I'd say avoid buying games from EA as well, although that's because their customer service is terrible and doesn't solve the problem. By the end of 7 hours of customer support failing, the person I was talking to asked for remote access into my machine, for me to remove my administrator password, run without a firewall, with all my security settings turned off to get the game to run. Turns out, that I'm only one of a handful who has this problem, and they don't know what they're talking about, everything is a copy-paste message with EA, and their support is useless.

Those copy & paste emails are scripted emails, and you might as well get used to them:  You'll almost always get a scripted response on the first attempt.  If the scripted email tells you not to reply to it, that it's an unmonitored email address, then emailing further will probably be worthless.  When it comes to software, any form of contact with customer service/support usually results in script.  It usually starts with rebooting that machine, completely powering it down, blah, blah, blah.  That horse manure about "...you are only one of a handful..." is also scripted.  At some point, you have to ask for compensation, like say a game of equal value that does work, for free.  Of course, the person you dealing with won't have the power to compensate anyone, which is when you ask to be transferred to someone who can.  If they agree to that without any sort of resistance, be leary:  You are probably about to be disconnected.

desolations7
Game Server Admin

usa.gif

STEAM PROFILE:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:37 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Games for windows-Live Reply with quote

I fixed the problem by doing what you said bitter, just ran the installer w/o steam running. It works, but it's still annoying to go through GFWL after steam. Sure I could click on the desktop icon, but then I have to go through gateway games. Just a pain in the butt, when will windows realize that they should keep Xbox and pc separate?

desolations7
Game Server Admin

usa.gif

STEAM PROFILE:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:40 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Games for windows-Live Reply with quote

And if you want to see where Freeto play is going, just look at apps. Some apps seem great, but are then unplayable without buying stuff.

Sponsor
BitterSweet
Game Server Admin

usa.gif

STEAM PROFILE:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:33 pm Post subject: No icon Re: Games for windows-Live Reply with quote

desolations7 @ Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:37 am wrote:
I fixed the problem by doing what you said bitter, just ran the installer w/o steam running. It works, but it's still annoying to go through GFWL after steam. Sure I could click on the desktop icon, but then I have to go through gateway games. Just a pain in the butt, when will windows realize that they should keep Xbox and pc separate?

I agree 100%.  When will they realize?  Probably only when they start losing money.  If that doesn't happen, they'll most likely continue down the path they're on.  You could post something in the MS Forums for that particular game.  The only good news I'm hearing regarding these new gaming business models is that the open source community is taking a longer look at gaming.  There's already plenty of stuff out there, take a look at this one list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_open-source_video_games

Plenty of clones there.  I can't really endorse any of those because I haven't tried any of them.  I don't really go buying games anymore as much as when I was younger.  I might get the new CS:GO if I have a PC that meets the specs.  Other than that, I have plenty of games I really enjoy laying around, just don't have time to play them all.  I have MAME, which is also freeware, which basically allows your PC to run arcade style games that people my age grew up with.  There's 100's of games included with that.

The big gaming companies are going to keep doing what they are doing as long as they are making money doing it.  The only thing us gamers can really do is not feed the monsters our ca$h.

Jenny
General
General

canada.gif

STEAM PROFILE:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:26 am Post subject: No icon Re: Games for windows-Live Reply with quote

BitterSweet @ Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:34 pm wrote:
Jenny @ Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:39 am wrote:

Those copy & paste emails are scripted emails, and you might as well get used to them:  You'll almost always get a scripted response on the first attempt.  If the scripted email tells you not to reply to it, that it's an unmonitored email address, then emailing further will probably be worthless.  When it comes to software, any form of contact with customer service/support usually results in script.  It usually starts with rebooting that machine, completely powering it down, blah, blah, blah.  That horse manure about "...you are only one of a handful..." is also scripted.  At some point, you have to ask for compensation, like say a game of equal value that does work, for free.  Of course, the person you dealing with won't have the power to compensate anyone, which is when you ask to be transferred to someone who can.  If they agree to that without any sort of resistance, be leary:  You are probably about to be disconnected.

Yeah I asked for some form of compensation, and they DC'd and were replaced by the person who wanted remote access into my computer. I got it working though, turns out the solve was super simple. When they say DO NOT put this program into the DEP, because it will stop gameplay, try that if their advice doesn't work. Turns out it's mostly steam users who do have that problem, 11 hours of fighting with my program, I got it working.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view BigBangGamers.com Forum Index ->  Hardware Review Time synchronized with your computer time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: